These bars are a staple in our house, and many have enjoyed them when visiting. What’s so great about these is that you can make them chewy or crunchy, and you can also change the flavours by substituting ingredients to your taste. Here is one we made recently that has a nice chewy consistency.
- 1 Cup Raw Almonds
- 1 Cup Raw Pecans
- 1 Cup Raw Pistachios
- 1/2 Cup Raw Pepitas
- 1/4 Cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- 1 Cup Chopped Dried Apple
- 1/4 Cup Raw Organic Honey
- 2 Free Range Eggs
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees C.
- Place your nuts and seeds in your food processor and pulse until you have tiny chunks, you don’t want the consistency of flour, keep it rough.
- Then add all your other ingredients.
- Pulse until all the ingredients are mixed well, no more than 20 seconds.
- Line a rectangle baking dish with greaseproof paper, and then transfer your nut mixture to the dish, spreading out and patting down so its flattened.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 20 minutes , then turn, and bake for another 20 minutes (unless you have a really good oven, then just bake for 35 minutes).
- Once done, remove from the oven and let cool on the counter in the pan.
- Once completely cooled, slice into bars or squares of the size of your choice.
- Place into a sealed container and refrigerate.
Suggested Creative Alternatives
- Crunchy Cranberry – Use half almonds and half hazelnuts, then replace the apples with dried cranberries, and replace honey with maple syrup.
- Mellow Mulberry – Use half almonds and half pecans, replace the apples with dried white mulberries, use maple syrup instead of honey, and add a teaspoon of vanilla.
- Chai Bar – For spicy flavours, add 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon with your honey.
Suggested dietary alternatives
- VEGAN: Replace honey with maple syrup, omit the eggs and add 1 cup arrowroot powder (not tapioca) and 1/4 cup coconut oil.
- SUGAR FREE: Omit honey and fruit, and add 1/4 cup coconut oil or avocado oil, plus 1 tablespoon vanilla.
- NUT FREE: Use a smaller square pan, omit the nuts and increase the seeds to 4 cups. Use extra seeds such as chia and black sesame.